Dr. Kangkana Bora
Assistant ProfessorPh.D. : Gauhati University
Research Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Biomedical Image Processing, Ballistic Imaging.
Joined the University in Feb 10, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence
- Pattern Recognition
- Machine Learning
- Data Mining
- Computer Vision
- Operating System
- Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Information Technology, Cotton University, Guwahati (10th Feb, 2020 – till now)
- Assistant Professor, Assam Don Bosco University, Azara, Guwahati (22nd July, 2019 to 8th February,2020)
- IPDF, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG), Guwahati (February,2019 to August, 2019)
- Inspire Fellow, Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology, Guwahati (17th Oct,2014 to 30th December, 2018)
- AI-based Automated Decision Support System for the Detection and Grading of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma from H&E stained Biopsy (Histopathology microscopic images using Machine Learning, Deep learning, and image processing approach), Funding source: Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), DST, Government of India under the Core Research Grant Scheme (CRG) on 25/10/2022, Duration: 3 years, Amount: Rs 33.49 Lakhs, PI: Dr Kangkana Bora (Ongoing).
- “Development of software for automated identification of gamusa loom type using artificial intelligence", North East Center for technology application and research (NECTAR), DST, Gol, Amount: 15.29L (Ongoing).
- "Development of a Decision Support System for detection of malignancy in Cervix using Pap smear images”, funded by INSPIRE Fellowship scheme, Department of Science and technology (DST), Amount: Rs. 19,80,404. (Completed)
- “PapScanner”, funded by Numaligarh Refinary Limited (NRL), iDEARTION startup grant recipient for the year 2018-19, Amount: Rs. 58 Lakhs (Completed)
|slno||Name of the Project||Name of the Principal Investigator||Name of the Copi||Name of the Funding agency||Type (Government/Non-Government)||Year||Funds sanctioned (INR in lakhs)||Duration of the project|
|1||AI-based Automated Decision Support System for the Detection and Grading of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma from H&E stained Biopsy (Histopathology microscopic images using Machine Learning, Deep learning, and image processing approach)
|Dr. Kangkana Bora||Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), DST, Government of India under the Core Research Grant Scheme (CRG)||Government||2023||Rs 33,49,849/-||3 Years|
|2||Development of software for automated identification of gamusa loom type using artificial intelligence
|Dr. Lipi B. Mahanta (IASST)||Dr. Kangkana Bora||North East Center for technology application and research (NECTAR), DST, Gol||Government||2021||15,29,000.00||1 year|
Research paper publications
1. Vanshali Sharma, M.K.Bhuyan, Pradip K. Das, Kangkana Bora, A DWT-based Encoder-Decoder Network for Specularity Segmentation in Colonoscopy Images, Multimedia Tools and Application, Springer [IF:2.577] , 2023 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-023-14564-1
2. Barun Barua , Kangkana Bora , Anup Kr.Das , Gazi N Ahmed , Tashnin Rahman, Stain Color Translation of Multi-Domain OSCC Histopathology Images using Attention gated cGAN , Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, Elsevier, vol - 106 [IF 7.422] , 2023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compmedimag.2023.102202
1. Pallabi Sharma, Bunil Kumar Balabantaray, Kangkana Bora, Kunio Kasugai, Saurav Mallik, Zhongming Zhao, An ensemble-based deep convolution neural network for computer-aided polyps identification from colonoscopy, Frontiers in Genetics [IF: 4.772], 1664-8021, 2022 https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2022.844391
2. Kabyanil Talukdar, Kangkana Bora (Corresponding author), Lipi B. Mahanta, Anup K. Das, A comparative assessment of deep object detection models for blood smear analysis, Tissue and Cell, Elsevier [IF:2.466], vol. 76,, 0040-8166., 2022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tice.2022.101761
3. Subrat K. Dutta, Sudarshan Saikia, Abhilasa Barman, Ritumoni Roy, Kangkana Bora (corresponding author), Lipi B. Mahanta, R Suresh, Study on Enhanced Deep Learning Approaches for Value-Added Identification and Segmentation of Striation Marks in Bullets for Precise Firearm Classification, Applied Soft Computing, Elsevier [IF 8.263] , vol. 112, 1568-4946, 2022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2021.107789.
4. Kulendu Kashyap Chakraborty, Rashmi Mukherjee, Chandan Chakroborty, Kangkana Bora (Corresponding author), Automated recognition of optical image based potato leaf blight diseases using deep learning, Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology, Elsevier [IF: 2.747], vol. 117, 0885-5765, 2022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmpp.2021.101781
5. Kangkana Bora , Lipi B. Mahanta, Kasmika Borah, Genevieve Chyrmang , Barun Barua, Saurav Mallik, Himanish Shekhar Das and Zhongming Zhao, Machine Learning Based Approach for Automated Cervical Dysplasia Detection Using Multi-Resolution Transform Domain Features, Mathematics, MDPI, SCIE indexed [IF:2.592], 2022 10.3390/math10214126
6. Himanish Shekhar Das, Akalpita Das, Anupal Neog, Saurav Mallik, Kangkana Bora and Zhongming Zhao, Early detection of Parkinson disease using fusion of discrete wavelet transformation and histograms of oriented gradients, Mathematics, MDPI, SCIE indexed [IF: 2.5] , 2022 https://doi.org/10.3390/math10224218
7. Kasmika Borah, Kangkana Bora (Corresponding author), Saurav Mallik and Zhongming Zhaob, Potential Therapeutic Agents on Alzheimer’s Disease through Molecular Docking and Molecular Dynamics Simulation study of Plant-based Compounds, Chemistry and Biodiversity, Wiley [IF:2.745] (Accepted), 2022 https://doi.org/10.1002/cbdv.202200684
8. Himanish Shekhar Das, Akalpita Das, Anupal Neog, Saurav Mallik, Kangkana Bora and Zhongming Zhao, Breast Cancer Detection: Shallow Convolutional Neural Network against Deep Convolutional Neural Networks based approach, Frontiers in Genetics [IF:4.772], 2022
Research paper publications till 2021
• Kangkana Bora, M.K.Bhuyan, Kunio Kasugai, Saurav Mallik, Zhongming Zhou, "Computational learning of features for automated colonic polyp classification", Scientific Reports (Nature),11:4347, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-83788-8 (2021). (LINKS)
• Pallabi Sharma, Kangkana Bora, Kunio Kosugai, and Bunil Kumar Balabantaray, "Two Stage Classification with CNN for Colorectal Cancer Detection", Oncologie (SCI), Vol. 22 (2020).
• Tilendra Chowdhury, L.N. Sharma, M.K. Bhuyan, Kangkana Bora, ‘Identification of Human Breathing-States Using Cardiac-Vibrational Signal for m-Health Applications’, IEEE Sensors journal,IEEE, Vol. 21, p. 3463-3470 (2020).
• Kangkana Bora, Manish Chowdhury, Lipi B. Mahanta, Malay Kumar Kundu, Anup Kumar Das, ‘Automated Classification of Pap smear images to detect cervical dysplasia’, Computer Methods and Programs in Bio-medicine, Elsevier, SCI, Vol. 138, p. 31-47 (2017).
• AmartyaRanjan Saikia, Kangkana Bora, Lipi B. Mahanta, Anup Kumar Das, ‘Comparative study on different CNN architectures for Classification of Breast FNAC images’, Tissue and Cell, Elsevier, SCI, Vol. 57, p. 8-14 (2019).
• NijoraRajbongshi, Kangkana Bora, Lipi B Mahanta, D C Nath, Anup K Das, ‘Analysis of morphological features of benign and malignant breast cell extracted from FNAC microscopic image using the Pearsonian System of Curves’, Journal of Cytology, PubMed, SCI, Vol. 35, p. 99-104 (2018).
• Lipi B Mahanta, Kangkana Bora, Rahul Kumar, ShauvikPurkayastha, R Suresh, ‘A pilot study on image processing methods for segmentation of striations in fired bullets’, International Journal of Computer Sciences and Engineering, UGC, Vol. 7, p. 466-472 (2019).
• Kangkana Bora, Lipi B. Mahanta, Anup Kumar Das, ‘Fuzzy NSCT based feature extraction method for automated classification of Pap smear images’, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Scopus, Vol. 13, p. 6709-6716 (2018).
• Kangkana Bora, NijaraRajbongshi, Lipi B Mahanta, Pallabi Sharma, Dipankar Dutta, ‘Assessing the awareness level of Breast and Cervical Cancer: A cross sectional study’, International Journal of Medical Sciences and Public Health, Vol. 5, Issue 10, p. 1987-1999 (2016).
• Kangkana Bora, Md. Abdul Wadood, ‘Implementation and Analysis of Symmetric Key Encryption Technique Using Chaos Theory’, European Journal of Advances in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 2, Issue 1, pp. 86-90 (2015).
• Kangkana Bora, Abdul Wadood, MayurHazarika, Zahid Ahmed, ‘Analysis of Crypto Components of a Chaotic Function to Study its Random Behavior’, International journal on Computer Science and Information Technology, UGC, Vol. 5, Issue 2,p. 2566-2568 (2014).
• Lipi B Mahanta, Kangkana Bora, ‘Hyperchromasia and Texture as effective features for analysis of malignancy in Pap smear Images’, International Journal of Image Processing, Signal processing and Pattern Recognition, Science and Engineering research Support Society, Vol. 6, Issue 4, p. 451-466 (2013).
• Lipi B Mahanta, Kangkana Bora, ‘Analysis of Pap smear images for malignancy detection of cervical cancer’, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering ,Vol. 3, Issue 5, p. (2013).
• Lipi B Mahanta, Kangkana Bora, ‘Analysis of Malignant Cervical Cells Based on N/C Ratio Using Pap Smear Images’, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, Vol. 2, Issue 11, p. 341-346 (2012).
1. Barun Barua, Genevieve Chymang, Kangkana Bora, R. Suresh, Lightweight edge deployable deep segmentation model of bullet striations for firearm identification , Forensic Hackathon 2023, National Forensic Science University, Gujrat, 2023
1. Kangkana Bora, M.K. Bhuyan, Yuji Iwahori, Genevieve Chyrmang, Debajit Sarma, ML based PCB Classification with Gabor and Statistical Features , International Conference on Data Electronics and Computing (ICDEC), NEHU, Shillong, 2022
2. Kangkana Bora, Lipi B.Mahanta, C. Chakraborty, Prahlad Borah, Kungnor Rangpi, Barun Barua, Bishnu Sharma, R. Mala, Computer aided Identification of Loom Types of ethnic textile, the Gamusa, using Texture feaxtures and Random Forest Classififer, International Conference on Data Electronics and Computing (ICDEC), NEHU, Shillong, 2022
Conference Proceedings till 2021
- Kangkana Bora, M.K. Bhuyan, Yuji Iwahori, Genevieve Chyrmang, Debajit Sarma, 'ML based PCB Classification with Gabor and Statistical Features', in International Conference on Data Electronics and Computing (ICDEC) , Springer, Sep. 7-9, 2022.
- Kangkana Bora, Lipi B.Mahanta, C. Chakraborty, Prahlad Borah, Kungnor Rangpi, Barun Barua, Bishnu Sharma, R. Mala, 'Computer aided Identification of Loom Types of ethnic textile, the Gamusa, using Texture feaxtures and Random Forest Classififer', in in International Conference on Data Electronics and Computing (ICDEC) , Springer, Sep. 7-9, 2022.
- Pallabi Sharma, Kangkana Bora, Bunil Kumar Balabantaray, ‘Identifification of signifificant frames from colonoscopy video: an approach towards early detection of Colo-rectal cancer’, IEEE International Conference on Computational Performance Evaluation (ComPE-2020), IEEE, Shillong, July 02-04, 2020.
- M.K. Bhuyan, Kangkana Bora, Georgia Koukiuo, ‘Detection of Intoxicated Person using Thermal Infrared Images, 6th Asian Conference on Defence Technology 2019 (ACDT 2019), IEEE, Indonesia, November 13-15, pp. 59-64, 2019.
- Pratyashee Changmai, Kangkana Bora, R. Suresh, Nabamita Deb and Lipi B. Mahanta, ‘On the study of automated identifification of fifirearms through associated striations’, International Ballistic Society, Hydrabad, India, Nov 3-8, 2019.
- Kangkana Bora, Lipi B. Mahanta, M.K. Bhuyan, ‘Automated cervical dysplasia detection: a multi-resolution transform based approach’, Second International Conference on Advances in Electrical, Electronic and System Engineering, IEEE, November 02-03, 2019.
- Kangkana Bora, M.K. Bhuyan, Yuji Iwahori, ‘Improved classifification of pcbs with gabor and statistical features’, Second International Conference on Advances in Electrical, Electronic and System Engineering, IEEE, November 02-03, 2019.
- Amartya Ranjan Saikia, Lipi B. Mahanta, Kangkana Bora, ‘Inceptionism and Residualism in Classifification of Breast Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology Cell Samples’, in Intel Student Ambassador AI Poster presentation, 2018, url: https://software. intel.com/en-us/ai-academy/poster-presentations.
- Kangkana Bora, Manish Chowdhury, Lipi B Mahanta, Malay Kumar Kundu, Anup Kumar Das, ‘Pap smear image classifification using Convolutional Neural Network’, ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, ICVGIP,18-22 Dec 2016, IIT Guwahati.
- Kangkana Bora, Lipi B. Mahanta, ‘Cervical Cancer: Facts of early diagnosis, cytological changes and impact of technology’ in International conference on disease biology and therapeutics, 3rd Dec to 5th Dec 2014, IASST and DST.
- Kangkana Bora, Lipi B. Mahanta, ‘A Decision Support System for Detection of Malignancy in Pap Smear images of Ca. Cervix based on some Morphological Features’, Recent Trends in Mathematical and Computational Science organized by Government of India on 28th to 30th Nov, 2012.
Chapters/Articles publications in Books (Research Oriented)
• PrabhashuPurwar, M.K. Bhuyan, Kangkana Bora, DebajitSarma, ‘Modified Parallel Tracking and Mapping for Augmented Reality as an alcohol deterrent’, 8th International Conference on Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer. December 17-20, 2019.
• PradiptaSasmal, Kangkana Bora, Manas Kamal Bhuyan, Yuji Iwahori and Kunio Kasugai, ‘Colonoscopic Image Polyp Classification using Texture Features’, 8th International Conference on Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer. December 17-20, 2019.
• Amit Vishwakarma, M.K. Bhuyan, DebajitSarma and Kangkana Bora, ‘MultiFocus Image Fusion using Sparse Representation and Modified Difference’, 8th International Conference on Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer. December 17-20, 2019.
• Lipi B. Mahanta, Kangkana Bora, SouravJyotiKalita and Priyangshu Yogi, ‘Automated counting of Platelets and White Blood Cells from Blood Smear Images’, 8th International Conference on Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, December 17-20, 2019.
Book publication other than subject concerned
|Sl.No||Name||Research Topic||Roll No|
|1||Barun Barua||Artificial Intelligence||CSC2091003|
|2||Genevieve Chyrmang||Artificial Intelligence||CSC2191003|
- Winner of the iDEATION 2018 startup grant competition under Numaligarh Refifinary Ltd. Amount: 58 Lakhs
- Winner of the best student paper, Pratyashee Changmai, Kangkana Bora, R. Suresh, Nabamita Deb and Lipi B. Mahanta, ‘On the study of automated identifification of fifirearms through associated striations’, International Ballistic Society, Hydrabad, India, Nov 3-8, 2019. Amount: USD 1000.
- Recipient of DST INSPIRE fellowship from December 2, 2014 to 30th January, 2019. Amount: Rs. 19,80,404/-.
- Selected as a Visiting scientist for Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata in the department of Machine Intelligent Unit from 1st march’2015 to 31st April’2015.
- Achieved 1st Class 1st position in M.Tech examination and awarded by Gauhati University.
- Achieved position in B.Tech examination and awarded by North Eastern Hill University.
- Achieved highest marks in Mathematics (100 out of 100) in HSLC and awarded by Chief Minister and Governor of Assam.
Achievements covered by different media:
- Coverage by The Times of India: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/research-shows-early-detection-of-colon-cancer-possible/articleshow/81239335.cms?from=mdr
- Coverage by The Economic Times: https://m.economictimes.com/industry/services/education/scientists-from-iit-guwahati-develop-an-automated-system-to-detect-colorectal-cancer/amp_articleshow/81334480.cms
- Coverage by The Indian Express: https://www.edexlive.com/news/2021/mar/04/iit-guwahati-researchers-develop-automated-ai-based-system-to-detect-colorectal-cancer-18723.html
- Coverage by NDTV: https://www.ndtv.com/education/iit-guwahati-scientists-develop-automated-system-detect-colorectal-cancer
- Coverage by BW Education: http://bweducation.businessworld.in/article/Scientists-From-IIT-Guwahati-Develop-An-Automated-System-To-Detect-Colorectal-Cancer/04-03-2021-382872/#
- DST web-link: https://dst.gov.in/iasst-scientists-develop-software-detect-cervical-cancer
- The Times of India web-link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/indian-scientists-develop-software-to-detect-cervical-cancer/articleshow/76461234.cms
- Former Union Health and S&T minister, Government of India, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, appreciated our work on Cervical Cancer identification through personal Facebook and twitter account.
- Invited lecture, “AI in early detection of Cancer”, in Bahona College, Jorhat, Date 12/06/2020.
- Invited lecture, “AI and Computer Vision in Healthcare”, International Webinar On Advances in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Sciences Biological Sciences (CONIAPS 2020)), Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, December 18-20, 2020. .
- Invited talk, “Research in AI”, in Assam Engineering College, Date - 11/09/2020 .
- Act as a Session co-chair at IEEE International Conference on Computational Performance Evaluation (ComPE), 2020, Shillong.Delivered lectures on “Biomedical image processing and its applications”, in Asian Institute Of Management And Technology, Guwahati, India.
- Delivered lecture classes with practical classes on “ Computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) - programming and applications”, in Regional Institute of Science and Technology, Meghalaya.
- Scientifific Report (Nature)
- Information Processing in Agriculture (Elsevier)
- Molecular Biology Reports (Elsevier)
- EGTET 2019, Springer
- Journal of Cytology (Wiley)
- Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics (Elsevier)
- Archives of Medical Science (AMS)
- International Journal of Cancer
- Journal of Haematology and oncology
- Molecular Biology Reports
- Chemistry and Biodiversity (Wiley)
- Guest Associate Editor of Frontier in Genetics (SCI, Scopus indexed, IF: 4.274)
Workshop and Others (After 2021 only)
- Online Faculty Induction Programme, Organized by Teaching Learning Centre, Tezpur University (03 August - 02 September, 2021).
- Interdisciplinary Refresher Course on "Curriculum and Pedagogy", Tezpur University (07-21 June, 2021).
- Online Faculty Development program on "Basics of Machine Learning - The Mathematical Inside", Sikkim University, Sikkim (08-12 March, 2021).
- Virtual Faculty Development program on "Applied Machine Learning and Deep Learning", Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Mangement and Technology, Guwahati (24 February to 1st March, 2021).